Saturday, August 29, 2009

Thinkin' About Monkeys

I found pretty early on that it's hard to read most Tourette's literature. The only one I've found motivating is "Front of the Class" by Bradley Cohen. I liked it because he never stopped doing - he kept on living his life, forcing his way through all the bullshit that people kept giving him for his Tourette's.

I had trouble reading the books "Icy Sparks" and "Don't Think About Monkeys." I think that these books are good for the non-Touretter, but I just can't stand to read them. It seemed to me like these books were ways to express pain, to show how much having Tourette's sucked. I already know this; I don't need a book to tell me. I couldn't even get through the books, I just didn't want to hear about how depressed these people were!

On the other hand, about a month before I met Charlene, she read the book "Icy Sparks." Before this, she hadn't even heard of the disorder - how fortuitous that she would read it right before meeting me! That just goes to show how important audience is, I guess. For now, I'll just keep thinking about monkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment