Saturday, August 1, 2009

Tourette Syndrome Stand Up

It's no secret that Tourette Syndrome is the "funny" disease. If it's portrayed in movies, it's usually just a character blurting curse words. I knew that I could make jokes about Tourette Syndrome from my point of view that could raise awareness and be entertaining at the same time.

I got my opportunity back in April 2009 at the Carolina Comedy weekend at UNC. There was a comedy competition for students to give their best three-minute stand up routine; the winner got to open for Lewis Black that weekend. My goal was to just try telling positive Tourette's jokes and see if I really could do it. I did not win the competition (although one of the judges later told me I was in the top 5), but I reached my goal and I'm happy about that. I can't wait to do it again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment