Thursday, May 13, 2010

Camp Twin Lakes

This summer I got a job as an Outdoor Adventure Leader / Music Coordinator for a camp in Georgia called Camp Twin Lakes. It's a camp that caters to children with "severe illnesses and serious life challenges." Each week, a different partner organization hosts a camp meaning that each week we have a completely different set of kids with completely different needs. For example, Camp Weekaneatit is for children with Celiac's Disease, Camp High Five is for children who are HIV positive, and Camp Twitch and Shout is for kids with - you guessed it - Tourette Syndrome!

I got to camp on Monday and it's already Thursday. We've been doing training for ropes courses, and I've been learning to belay and work harnesses and hoist kids way high off the ground. I brought a lot of instruments with me and I can't wait to lead songs and stuff. Here's the banner for Twitch and Shout that's hanging in the dining hall:


I'll post again soon, I promise!

1 comment: