Friday, October 9, 2009

The Next Day

I've got some good followup on my last post, as well as a little bit of clarification.

Now that my room is back in order and I've got an organized living space, I feel confident in picking up and going. I feel much more stable in daily life, waking up on time and getting to sleep at a reasonable hour. I would liken it to a stumble - you're off balance for a bit and it's not looking good, but then you quickly get your footing again and keep going. Remember that step I talked about in My Tourette's History Part III? I feel that I'm still going in that same direction. I'm not sure I can describe what direction I'm going in, or how to truly describe it if I did know.

One thing that I do know is that I'm in a new stage of life in terms of living and coping with my Tourette's. I feel more comfortable with who I am, and I feel less of a need to tell everybody and inform everybody and talk about it all the damn time. In fact, today I got a haircut. This may not seem significant, but for someone who moves their head spastically at unpredicted times, haircuts are rather intimidating! Today was the first time I got a haircut (done by somebody other than my mother) without warning the barber unnecessarily about my TS. In the past it hasn't really done anything other than confuse the person and it doesn't really do much to prevent the haircut from tic interference. Today, I didn't feel like telling the guy, so I didn't! It all worked out fine, except that I'm not really sure I like the haircut itself, because it kinda reminds me of the redneck guys from back home. The moral of that story is that old dudes are supposed to cut other old dudes's hair (I was the only one in there who wasn't balding). Women know what look good on men, and are more likely to deliver a good-looking hair cut. Or at least, that's my inference based on a single experience. Haircut:




As for the clarifaction of IFS4Y Day. CuteWithChris.com is a favorite blog of mine. He generally posts user-submitted pictures of themselves and their pets, as well as uploading a video update every so often. It's hard to describe really, because it's his somewhat cynical and snarky humor applied to various things that makes it so great. You should def check it out, although watch his YouTube videos first because they're more entertaining.

Often times people send him pictures of them after they hurt themselves or something along those lines, hoping for him to display their pictures out of pity. When people send him stuff like that, he generally makes fun of them and reminds them that International Feel Sorry For Yourself Day isn't until May 11th. In the video I linked, he starts complaining about his show, cuts himself off and says "Oh! I forgot - save it for International Feel Sorry For Yourself Day!" I included this reference in my last post sort of as a reminder to myself to stop worrying about it, because it's not May 11th! It's unnacceptable to feel sorry for yourself - unless, of course, it's International Feel Sorry For Yourself Day!!!


3 comments: