Wednesday, July 29, 2009

My Tourette's History, Part I

So let me tell you the background story.

Most children tend to develop Tourette Syndrome gradually in early life; could be anywhere around 3-10 years old, give or take. I, however, developed it suddenly at the age of sixteen. I remember the day pretty well; it was March 16, 2007, and I had just gotten over the flu that had been going around the school just a week before. I came back to Mr. Ross's third period pre-Calculus class after lunch this particular Friday, and and when I sat down and laid my hands on the desk, my right hand seemed to swat an imaginary fly, as if it had a mind of it's own. I remember staring at my hand, wondering how to react: "What just happened? Did anyone else see that? Why did that happen?" After sifting through various questions, my mind settled on one that best fit the scenario: "Did I do that on purpose?"

Throughout the rest of class, similar twitches kept appearing in unpredictable places. My feet would kick and my hands would swat at nothing in particular; even my nose wrinkled up a few times. I remember experimenting with them, trying to see how much they were caused by voluntary thoughts or some involuntary force. It seems that the line between the voluntary and the involuntary is not so clearly defined...

When I went to 4th period Music Theory, I decided it was time to say something to somebody. We had a test that day... I was going to try to take it, but my knees wouldn't stop awkwardly wobbling together and my back kept jerking straight up. Don't forget, these are large movements we're talking about here. My back was jerking so hard I had to stop writing each time it happened! Mr. Talley (a wonderful guy and band director) drove me the short distance to my mom's classroom (she taught Chemistry at my high school).

My mom is funny, always finishing "that last e-mail" for a rediculously long time. I remember walking into her classroom and saying "Mom, I'm twitching I think I may need to go to the doctor."
"Mkay Bunchie, let me finish this email," she replied without looking up from her computer.
"Okay, Mom."
(pause)
"Mike, will stop tapping your foot?"
"No Mom, that's the problem."
I remember the look of shock on her face when she realize the weight of the situation. She immediately shut down her computer and rushed me to the Emergency Room.

(To be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment