Monday, June 7, 2010

Camp Twin Lakes VIII

Most camps have a dance towards the end of the week. It's funny how a silly little event that we put on by simply pressing 'play' on an iPod can cause so much excitement in a group of kids! They get all nervous about who they like, whisper to each other about who's cute and who's not, but only the brave ones actually ask somebody to the dance. Matchmakers emerge, it's kinda funny to watch one go between two worthy candidates and next thing you know, another pair are going to the dance together. The expert matchmakers keep lists, I've seen it with my own eyes! One little girl will go up to the other and ask for some help, and the second girl will respond with "I'll get you Ryan, Trevor, or Carson, take your pick." They might even try to get two counselors to go together if they get confident!

This particular week I met a camper named Derrick who has Celiac Disease, which is intolerance to a protien found in wheat, rye, and barley called Gluten. It's not actually an allergy; the immune system goes on 'self-destruct' mode whenever this protein is present. It can be pretty severe; even food that's been exposed to something with flour can set of a reaction! Even though that week was designed for kids with Celiac Disease, they were so used to checking everything they ate that for the first few days they asked to double check if each food was gluten-free. Derrick and I got along pretty well - he was a pretty chill 9-year old who's in cub scouts and always participated in stuff. He showed interest in the Ukulele, and he picked up a few chords pretty fast! I asked if he was going to continue into Boy Scouts. He said no, that it would be really difficult to do campouts with his dietary needs. I took the opportunity to tell him about my journey with Tourette's, and how I continued with scouts anyway and ended up with my Eagle rank. It was like putting in a message in a bottle because you know that it's an important message but you have no way of knowing if anything will happen because of it.

Right before I left Chapel Hill to come down here, I bought this old suit that looks like it's at least thirty years old for ten bucks at a thrift store. It's gray plaid, and the pants come up to my stomach. Counselors at the dance are supposed to be a mix of party starters (too keep the kids from being glued to the walls) and 'room for Jesus' police (to keep the kids from being glued to each other). So naturally, I wore the suit. I also wore a black cap, rainbow suspenders, and an oversized bowtie for good measure.

I walked in a few minutes after the party started (I needed time to get changed!) and once the kids saw me they all started laughing and clapping. I made myself the life of the party, dancing super awkward to keep the mood fun. Right after I made my entrance, 9-year old Lucy (the camp matchmaker) marched up to me and snatched off my hat and bowtie. I watched as she went back to her date (Derrick), put the accoutrements on him, and proclaimed "See? Now you're cute!"

My accessories ended up in various places on various campers. I looked over to see Lucy in the bowtie and Derrick in my hat and jacket, dancing like middle schoolers - arms stretched as far as they could go, trying as hard as possible not make eye contact. I love kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment