Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Let's Talk Tourette's


Today I had my first real public speaking gig about Tourette Syndrome. With the help of two other RAs, I put on a building-wide program called "Let's Talk Tourette's." We set up the Game Room so that there were sofas and chairs available sort of semi-circled around an arm chair which I sat in. I didn't have much planned to say, but everything came out very naturally anyway. I told the group about my history, and a little bit about the disorder itself. I explained that I find people tend to have questions about my Tourette's, but often don't feel comfortable knowing if it's appropriate to ask. I told them that no question was to personal, too big, or too small. I was asked some very good questions, which usually lead very long answers.

Twenty-seven people came out to hear me talk, which I think was a good number. A couple PMA brothers and even an alumni came to support me, as well as a couple friends who didn't live in the building. To me, I felt there were a lot of people present, maybe even uncomfortably so; but later, even people who who were sitting in the back said they felt it was a very relaxed and intimate experience.

I can't wait until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment