Thursday, September 3, 2009

Vision

Today in my RA class, we discussed the differences between visions and goals and how each of those are different in each other's lives. As an exercise, everyone wrote down thier vision in marker on a sheet of paper. This vision could be something we wanted to change at the university level or nationwide or globally. We taped these sheets of paper on the wall, then everybody got the chance to read the visions and give feedback by writing things down on post-it notes and placing those on the wall next to the visions.

I wrote that my vision was to "spread advocacy and awareness about Tourette Syndrome, changing the stereotype." After class, I looked through the notes people had left on my vision. I waded through the various notes, all of them positive and one or two that were illegible. One post-it stood out to me. It said: "Your story is being used to change the lives of others. Very encouraging to me!"

I don't know who in the class of fifteen wrote this note, and I don't know if they know me or know my story at all. But, the note touched me because it reassured me that what I'm doing is not going unnoticed. That my blog actually has a purpose, that the hardships I go through now will translate to less stressful situations for others in the future. I taped the post it onto my laptop right next to the touchpad so that I can see it everyday.

1 comment:

  1. Yea man! It's your boy, G-rant! You are changing my perceptions of Turette's every day! But we gotta do some work on our bulletin board, maybe (gasp) Labor Day Monday?

    ReplyDelete